The Hosmer Art Gallery is designed to provide opportunities for local artists to show their work to the public. Exhibits include a wide range of media and content reflecting the diversity of the Pioneer Valley community. The gallery is curated and scheduled by the Head of the Arts & Music Department.
Art exhibits featuring the work of local artists have been part of Forbes Library’s cultural mission for over 100 years. The Hosmer Gallery has versatile display panels, cases and pedestals to accommodate a variety of two- and three-dimensional art formats.
Applications closed on October 10, 2015 for exhibits in 2016 and early 2017. The next open application period will be in late 2016. To receive an email when applications are open, please join the Hosmer Gallery Mailing List. Please read below for general information about the selection and scheduling process.
Artists’ portfolios — digital images, or original work — are reviewed on an annual basis. The application period and deadline are announced each year in local media and on the library web site. Applications will then be available at the library and online. Criteria for review include technical and artistic quality, a coherent theme, and contribution to an interesting and varied program for the year. Artists living and working in the greater Northampton area are eligible to apply. First-time exhibitors, individuals and groups are welcome.
Facts and policies in brief
- Exhibits run for one month.
- Groups of three or more artists may use the entire space; individual artists generally use one-third to one-half the space, with two or three exhibits shown simultaneously.
- The total wall space is 160 linear feet (usually 50-80′ for each artist). The floor space is approximately 900 square feet. View floor plan
- The library can provide up to 7 sculpture pedestals and 5 glass display cases in various sizes.
- Artists are responsible for hanging and taking down their exhibits.
- There is no charge for the use of the space. If works are sold, the library expects a donation of 15% of the proceeds.
- The Library sends out press releases to local media. The artist must provide a brief statement and publicity photos for this purpose.
- Artists may send announcements/invitations, and/or provide for an opening reception at their own expense.
- The Library has limited insurance covering work on display. The Library is not responsible for any losses not covered by insurance.
- More information about the gallery, current exhibit, and schedule, is on the Hosmer Gallery web site.
Approved by Board of Trustees, Sept 20, 2007