The Forbes Library is governed by an elected board of trustees, as stipulated in the will of Charles E. Forbes. Trustees serve in a volunteer capacity. They are elected for a four-year term beginning the first Monday in January after the November municipal election, and may be re-elected.
Each year the Trustees honor a community member with the Trustees Award.
Trustees’ meetings are open to the public and the Trustees follow the Commonwealth’s Open Meeting Law (M.G.L. c. 30A, §§ 18-25). Meetings are usually, but not always, held on the third Thursday of each month, at 4:00 PM in the Watson Room on the mezzanine of the Library.
Minutes of past Trustees meetings
- Agreement for Judgment between the Trustees of Forbes Library and the City of Northampton, June 29, 2017
- Trustees’ statement about the Agreement of June 29, 2017
- Russell Carrier and Lisa Downing interview on the Bill Newman Show, July 12, 2017
- Forbes Trustees issued a press release on June 1, 2016 about ongoing negotiations with the city regarding library governance dispute: Forbes Seeks Status Quo.
The current Trustees are:
- Cheri Buckhout, Treasurer
- Elizabeth Sheirer, Secretary
All of the Trustees may be reached c/o the Forbes Library, 20 West Street, Northampton MA 01060.