Social Services

General Resources

  • First Call for Help
    call 413-582-4237 or 1-800-339-7779
    for information about programs throughout Hampshire County, such as fuel assistance, food stamps, health needs, employment, child care, domestic violence, housing, substance abuse, etc.
    Or check The Big Red Book Social Services Directory in the Reference Department.
  • ServiceNet
    ServiceNet provides a wide range of human services. Their programs include acute mental health services; outpatient clinical and counseling services; adolescent support programs; an employee assistance program; early intervention for young children; home health care; rehabilitation and residential programs for those with mental health issues, mental retardation, or head injuries; and shelter and housing services for the homeless.
  • Center for Human Development
    CHD offers many social programs in Northampton and throughout the Pioneer Valley.
  • Fuel Assistance
    Community Action provides assistance to income eligible individuals and families with help paying their winter heating bills. See their website or call 413-774-2310 or 800-370-0940 for guidelines and applications.



  • Alcoholics Anonymous
    Western Mass. Intergroup lists all meetings in the area plus useful information for newcomers, bookstore and links.

Children and Families

Counseling and Psychotherapy

Crime Victims

  • The YWCA of Western Massachusetts
    The YWCA of Western Massachusetts maintains 24-hour hotline numbers for any victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, Workforce development services for young people and YouthBuild programs.
  • Massachusetts Office For Victim Assistance (MOVA)
    A state agency devoted to upholding and advancing the rights of crime victims in Massachusetts. MOVA maintains a directory of resources for victims and publishes In the Aftermath of Crime, a guide to victim rights and services in Massachusetts.