- Magnifying glasses
- Illuminated magnifying glasses of various sizes and strengths are available at the Reference Desk and the Arts and Music Desk.
- Desktop magnifier
- You can find an Optelec Clear View 300 desktop magnifier in the Reference Room. Please ask at the reference desk for assistance.
- Screen magnification software
- Microsoft’s Magnifier program is installed on all our public computers. Please ask at the reference desk if you would like assistance with this software.
- Screen reader software
- JAWS screen reader software is installed on all our public computers. Please ask at the reference desk if you would like assistance getting on a computer and setting up this software.
- Assistive Technology for Loan
- Forbes Library has a number of assistive devices that can be borrowed from the library for home use. Stop by the reference desk or call 413-587-1012 for more information. These include
- A Ruby HD Video Magnifier—a small handheld digital magnifier.
- A Victor Stratus Reader—a multi format audiobook player that takes CDs, SD cards, and flash drives. It is designed to be easy to use even for folks who may lack good vision or dexterity.
- A National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped digital talking book player. We also have a small collection of talking book cartridges.
- At Service Desks
- Listening systems are installed at every service desk. Use your own t-coil enabled hearing aid or ask for a headset—you will be able to hear library staff clearly without minimal background noise.