Use fees are charged on a per image basis. The Application for Permission to Publish Images must be completed and signed, and all reproduction and use fees must be paid in advance. Forbes Library supports non-profit use of our images. Non-profits need to show their tax exempt number or provide some other written proof of non-profit status, such as by-laws or a mission statement. Fees for non-profits will be waived for exhibition purposes, and a reduced rate will be offered for some publishing purposes.
No use fees are charged for agencies of Federal, State, or City Governments.
|Personal Use:||Reference purposes or home display||No Fee|
|Gift for personal use (home display)||No Fee|
|Commercial Display in Public Spaces: (offices, stores, restaurants, lobbies, hotels)||$25.00|
|Non-profit (museum, library, historical society, others with tax exempt status)||No fee|
|Book Publication: (world wide use, multiple language)|
|Inside use:||1-5,000 copies||$25.00|
|over 5,000 copies||$50.00|
|Book Cover Illustration:||1-5000 copies||$100.00|
|over 5,000 copies||$150.00|
|Academic Uses:||Scholarly publications are exempted. These include dissertations, theses, scholarly journals, and classroom use by students and teachers. A credit line must always appear with each image used. Use fees are not waived for University Press publications or textbooks.|
|Newspapers, Magazine and Newsletter/Corporate Publications:|
|Under 50,000 Circulation||Inside $25.00||Cover $100.00|
|Over 50,000||Inside $50.00||Cover $150.00|
|Non-Editorial Use: (Includes items such as Posters, Postcards, Calendars, Tee Shirts, Note Cards, etc.)|
|Under 50,000 Circulation||Non-Profit $50.00||Profit $150.00|
|CD/ROM, Video and Software:|
|Network and Cable:||$75.00|
|Public TV (not local) and Non profit||$25.00|
|Public TV (local)||No per image fee* – subject to set-up fees|
|(For multimedia projects being released in more than one medium (broadcast, CD-ROM, DVD, Video) for one production. Does not include Book production or website use. Allows for promotion.)|
|* A Set-up fee for on-site filming and research will be charged to local Public TV and Cable Access Stations, to be billed at $50.00 (0-4 hours) or $100.00 (4-8 hours). Day starts at booked appt. time – 24 hr. cancellation notice is required.|
|Images will be provided at 100 DPI only. The intended website address must be provided, and a link to the Forbes Library website is required.|
Terms and Conditions of Use
1. All requests to reproduce images from the Forbes Library Archives collections must be submitted on the Application for Permission to Publish, available from the Library Special Collections, Hampshire Room, or Coolidge Museum. The applicant agrees to abide by all terms, conditions, and provisions of this agreement.
2. Permission for reproduction of images is granted only for the express purpose described in the application. If the intended use of an image is for publication, permission is authorized for one time, non-exclusive use of that image. Any change in use from that stated on the application, or subsequent use of the work beyond that specified in this agreement requires Forbes Library’s written permission. Forbes Library will not sign any submitted permission or licensing forms from the requester.
3. Permission to reproduce images is valid only for the individual, company, or institution who signs the agreement and may not be transferred, assigned, sold or otherwise disposed of without written permission of the Library. Copies or prints of images from the Forbes Library collections may not be deposited or placed on file in any other repository. This includes electronic filing methods.
4. Forbes Library does not hold copyright over many of the images and illustrations in its collections. Responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright must be assumed by those wishing to reproduce the images.
5. Sale of a copy of a photograph, film footage, or illustration from Forbes Library’s collections does not involve sale of copyright. Reproduction and Use Fees are charged for the images, based on Forbes Library’s physical ownership of the images, and not on copyright.
6. A credit line must accompany images used in an illustration of any kind. It should read “Courtesy of the Forbes Library, Northampton, Massachusetts.” It must be prominent and legible and it must appear in the caption or in close proximity to the image or in the list of credits for each image. Website (electronic) images must contain the credit line as part of the image and must be linked to the Forbes Library website. Failure to properly credit images from Forbes Library’s collections will result in a $200.00 fee per image every time the image is used or shown. Verification that proper use and credit of images has been made requires that a complimentary copy of the completed project or publication be sent to Forbes Library.
7. The staff will scan the best quality image that can be produced, however, that quality is dependent upon the condition of the original image. We do not edit or touch up images. Patrons are responsible for payment for images they request. We do not refund. Forbes Library reserves the right to refuse to reproduce images which it feels might damage the original.
8. Prepayment of all fees, including use fees, is required before permission is granted for reproduction of images. Default in payment will immediately revoke permission.
Applications are available from the library Special Collections, Hampshire Room, or Coolidge Museum.
For information on image reproduction fees, click here.
Approved by Board of Trustees 2007.