The Franklin Hampshire Career Center and Forbes Library announce a partnership to provide Career Center satellite services at the Library. The Career Center will out-station staff on a weekly basis at the Library to continue providing Employment Services to job seekers in Hampshire County. Loss in federal funding is requiring the Northampton Career Center to merge its two full service career centers.
Lisa Downing, Forbes Library Director said “As the city’s public library, we are delighted to be able to provide a venue for the Career Center to continue offering core services in Northampton. We strive to support the community’s information needs in both traditional and innovative ways and this partnership will do just that. We see this as a way for the public to continue to have access to employment and training assistance that our community needs and will use it as an opportunity to introduce the library’s great services to an expanded audience.”
Career Center Executive Director, Teri Anderson, stated “We are excited to collaborate with Forbes Library on our first satellite service location in Hampshire County. Our overlapping mission, the generous use of space, and the easily accessible location all make the Library a good fit.” “We are grateful to the Library staff and board for welcoming us into their space. The Library satellite location will go a long way in retaining essential career services after the Northampton full service Career Center merges with the Greenfield office. Hampshire County residents that have difficulty getting to Greenfield should talk with Career Center staff. We will work with customers to find solutions to ensure they can receive services,” she said.
The Northampton office will close on August 25 and staff will move into the Greenfield office the following week. The Greenfield Career Center will be closed on Monday, August 28 for the move to take place. Full services will resume at the Greenfield Career Center on Tuesday, August 29. Out-stationed Career Center services will begin at Forbes the week of September 11th. Career Center Services to be provided at the Library include:
- Mondays 9am-4pm: Assistance with Online Unemployment Claims – Mornings will be walk-in assistance on a first come first serve basis. Customers will be able to make appointments in the afternoon or walk-in if there are openings available.
- Mondays and Wednesdays 9am-Noon: Career Center registration and online job search assistance in the Library Computer Area.
- Wednesdays 1pm-2pm: Career Center Seminar introduction to Career Center services.
- Thursdays 1pm-3pm in the Community Room: Workshops with rotating topics such as resume and cover letter writing, using LinkedIn, Online job applications, and interviewing skills.
- Tuesdays once per month will be an information session to learn about subsidized job training programs and individualized career counseling.
Anderson also noted that Career Center Veteran’s employment services will still be available at various locations in Hampshire County. Veterans should contact the Veterans Employment Representative at the Greenfield Career Center.
Information about how to take advantage of Career Center services offered at Forbes Library can be found on the Franklin Hampshire Career Center website at: http://www.fhcc-onestop.com/ or by calling the Career Center at 413-774-4361. Event information will be posted on the Forbes Library website at: https://forbeslibrary.org/events